When looking at cutting costs in a household budget, one of the first things people do is shop their insurance. But before you go online and get a quote from a company promising cheap insurance premiums, consider the following alternati...
When looking at cutting costs in a household budget, one of the first things people do is shop their insurance. But before you go online and get a quote from a company promising cheap insurance premiums, consider the following alternatives sticking with your current insurance carrier. The old saying "you get what you pay for" can apply here and there are some tips and tricks to help save you money.
1. Are you a careful driver with no accidents or tickets in the last 3 to 5 years? Most insurance companies give discounts or factor your driving history into your insurance quote. Check with your agent to see if you are getting a discount for a good driving record.
2. Raise your comprehensive and collision deductibles. By self-insuring, or carrying higher deductibles, you can get a lower insurance premium. If you have a deductible less than $500, it's worth a phone call to see how much you can save. Just remember, if you have a claim, you are responsible for paying the deductible.
3. Do you have good credit? You might ask "what does my credit have to do with my insurance premium"? Many insurance companies use "Insurance Scoring" and one factor in that matrix is your credit history.
4. The insurance premium is based on the type of car you drive and your personal driving history. If you are thinking of purchasing a different vehicle, check a few different options with your insurance company. Different makes and models of vehicles cost different amounts to insure.
5. Take advantage of Multi-Policy Discounts. Have your home and auto insurance with different companies? Ask if there is a discount to bundle them together. Companies often offer up to 15% discounts if you have your home and auto insurance with the same company. Many companies now offer discounts for bundling Life Insurance too!
The most important thing to remember when looking at cutting costs is to not sacrifice cost for coverage. Talk to your trusted independent insurance agent about options specifically available to you.
For additional information email us here.